Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Everything Happens For A Reason"

HAH!! Whoever came up with that quote obviously had a lot of bad stuff happen to him/her.




That quote DID run through my mind last night. Through a series of circumstances starting with Drew vomiting all over the hallway to ending up with me sleeping on the basement couch, I happened to be in the right place at the right time, or maybe the wrong place at the right time. I went to sleep about 11:45 last night (was caught up in a good book) and everything was ok. I woke up at 2:30 am to some strange sounds. I was pretty sure it was the cat but I kept hearing water. (At this point I can hear my family groaning loudly because they know where this is going.....) I decide to jump up to investigate. I made it 3 steps from the couch before I splashed into about 2 inches of standing water on my carpet! What the heck??!! I flew over to turn on the lights and rushed to the sump pump. D%@*n thing was off again. I kicked it on and it started sucking water down. I tore upstairs to wake my dear sleeping husband. He handled it very well. Honestly I think we were in too much shock to do much else. There were two inches of standing water in every room of the basement.....family room, spare bedroom, bathroom, my craft room, storage rooms. We got some pictures knowing we'd need them if this had to go to insurance. The sump pump continued to pump water down as it continued to pour rain outside. There was so much water, it was pointless to try to even bring the shop vac down. We just kept checking on the pump all night and this morning I begged and pleaded with Servicemaster to come out (they were here in the fall with a smaller fiasco and did an amazing job!). That time was expensive and this is at least 3 times worse. I can't even imagine how much it will cost or where the money will come from but we need the water out. We also need to figure out why the hell the sump pump did this. Nothing was used in the basement so it was all rainwater coming up and for whatever reason, the sump pump didn't kick on. (We are soo replacing that!) Ugh, I thought I was doing ok until I looked at these pictures just now. So much is ruined I just want to cry. The only good thing is that Drew seems to be feeling better now and Servicemaster is coming today. Back to my original quote. Can you imagine how much worse it would have been had I not been sleeping in the basement?? This mess happended in 2 1/2 hours, if no one had been down there for 3 more hours when Todd got up for work, it could have been twice as bad. I'm scared to go in my craft room, I had stuff for my mother's day gifts in there. If all of my stuff is ruined, I will cry.



Part of the family room area.

Hallway....see the reflection of the light in the water???Other side of the basement....it seeped through the spare bedroom all the way over here.


Spare bedroom. Notice the cat wading in the water...he was a little freaked.






There's also the saying "God doesn't give you more than you can handle". Ok, God, I'm good for now, that's enough. I'm off to mop, move as much furniture and toys as I can and try to get it ready for Servicemaster. I'm hoping for a miracle today. I had hoped Todd could stay home and help me with this but his principal was evaluating him today. So I'm putting my big girl panties on and will try and do as much as I can while taking care of Aiden and a sick Drew. Oh, and I'm supposed to have a Mary Kay Open House sunday to celebrate 5 years of being a consultant....I don't think I will get to have it in my basement now, what do you think??? Thank goodness for a large dining room! Happy freakin' Thursday!



*****Just got some good news.....I love you Amy! My friend Amy started a new blog called Chic Book Chick. She reviews different books and even has awesome giveaways. I won one of her giveaways....see here. Thanks Amy, I needed some good news!!

11 comments:

Kat said...

Oh NOOOOOO!!!!
What is it about today. I just did a pretty whiny post and then did the "everything happens for a reason". We must be thinking alike today. ;)
Keeping my fingers crossed for you today.

Amy said...

oh honey! I am so so so sorry...I can not imagine how awful that must be!! Big sloppy hugs your way...have a mojito! Love you...

kristi said...

That stinks! I have had a horrible morning too. I hope yours gets better! HUGS.

Cindy said...

"When it Rains, It Pours"...seems to fit here too! This same thing recently happened to my cousin, but when they went downstairs the water was so high it was up to the level of the dryer door. It is good ServiceMaster can come on such short notice, but I'm with you, a new sump pump might be a good idea.

< Wishes for a sunny day and a lot of sunny days to come.

Beth said...

Okay Kelly...I commented on facebook how I'm feeling sick for you guys....but I have to say i'm cracking up at the "You might be interested in..." at the bottom of this post...all Misssissipi River Flooding posts. Sorry, trying to find a little humor in a humorless situation.

dianna said...

Oh Kel, I hate that for you but am SO glad you were down there! P and I always say now nice it would be to have a basement, but between your story and some of Molly's....not so sure any more!
Hope the clean up and price aren't too bad hon.
I'd come help you if I could...first thing I'd grab are those photo albums!!!!!!!!!
Love you girl!

Jessica said...

Oh man! I am so sorry! That sump pump really let you guys down...I hope things get better for you soon!

Controlling My Chaos said...

Oh man, I can't even imagine what that must be like. And you've had this problem before? Yikes! Do you have to rip all the carpet out?

And I have a stupid question--is a sump pump something that most people need in your area because I don't know anyone that has one?

Jan said...

Oh Kelly, I hate that this happened to you again. Hopefully they got the water sucked up already so it can start to dry out. I think a new sump pump is high priority right now, can you get a battery back up one?

Stimey said...

Oh no! Thank goodness you caught it early. We've had basement flooding, and it's the worst. I'm sorry it happened.

OHmommy said...

OMG.... you were right. What a site. I hope the cleaning up process is easy and painless.